Sunday, May 19, 2013

About Me

My "child" Marlee and I. 
My name is Kayla Brooker. I'm 25 years old and I live in Los Angeles, CA.  I'm originally from central Illinois where my parents and most of my family lives.  I'm very thankful for the family I do have out here: my boyfriend and stepsister's family a short drive away.  I attended Illinois State University where I got my Bachelors degree in Apparel Design.  After graduating from college I moved to Los Angeles to pursue my dreams.  

I currently work for Macy's as a Visual Trimmer; basically I dress mannequins and set up any sort of visual display that makes you want to spend money.  It's a very physically demanding job. 

In my free time I love taking advantage of the beautiful California weather.  I love going to the beach, hiking, or sightseeing.  I know, typical tourist, but since I've only lived in LA for almost 3 years, there's so much I need to see.  I also enjoy spending time with my doggy, Marlee.  He's just like a child.  He makes it so nice to come home; no matter how my day has gone, good or bad, he is so happy to see me.  

I was recently diagnosed with a Desmoid Tumor in my abdomen.  This is the rarest type of tumor: Out of 1 million people, approximately 2-4 have it.  I decided to create this blog to share my experiences.

*To learn more about Desmoid Tumors visit:

4 comments:

  1. Kayla, you are in my prayers. Angel said to tell you she knows you are a fighter with a positive attitude. We love you, Kayla. If we can do anything from IL, please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. Hoffek! Knowing I have so much love and support is great motivation!

      Delete
  2. So happy to have found your blog! I was diagnosed June of 2012. Here is my journey - http://desmoidtumorjourney.blogspot.com/. I need to make a few updates, but took Nexavar for one year and the tumor shrunk. Now just waiting to see how fast this lil monster gorws back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kayla, I am so glad I found your blog. I just got diagnosed with a desmoid tumor in my mesentery two weeks ago. I also live in Los Angeles and thought it was a hernia. I just had my biopsy at St. Johns. I jam 31 years old. My tumor has definitely grown in the past 6 weeks. I would like to chat with you as we seem to have very similar stories. My email is michelle.ohayon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete