Thursday, June 27, 2013

Good and Bad News...

Boy oh boy has it been a crazy week!

I started having pains Sunday afternoon around 3 and never had pain like this before.  I called the after hours doctors number and they told me to take 650 mg of Tylenol.  Let's just say that did NOT work, ONE bit!  I didn't sleep at all during the night due to being in so much pain.  I called my oncologist in the morning to see if could get something stronger, but they needed to evaluate me.  So, I went to hospital around 9:30 Monday morning and I was there until about 8:30 that night.  They didn't know why I was having such horrible pains.  They took all sorts of bloodwork and hooked me up to an IV and ran liquids into me all day, along with being on a Morphine drip all day.  Thankfully the Morphine did help the pain but it did make me nausea after being on it all day.  I had another CT done and had to wait for the results for awhile.  By the end of the day I was very nausea, considering the only thing I had to eat was a banana and had so many different fluids pumped into me.  
"Thumbs up" for shrinkage!!!

Finalllllly got the CT results after waiting for what seemed like ever!  There was some good news with the results! .....drum roll..... 
DEZZIE IS SHRINKING!!!!  (While spending the whole day in the hospital, came up with the name Dezzie for the tumor).  So the crazy high dosage of Tomaxifen must really be working!  But there was also some bad news..... I now have ovarian cysts that have formed on both ovaries.  The one on the right side is about the same size as Dezzie, which would explain all of the pain I'm having.  

Anytime I needed to go to bathroom, had
to take this huge thing with me.  Needed
Kathy's help, too!  Thank you very much,
Kathy!

After getting the results from the CT, I was sent home with morphine tablets.  They worked good at first....until I started getting really really nausea from them.  I was throwing up allllll day Tuesday due to the morphine.  My stepsister, Kathy, called the doctor to try to get something else to help with the nausea... but it didn't help at all.  I was still vomiting due to it.  I couldn't keep any food down or even anything to drink.  I felt like a vegetable doing nothing.  Tuesday-Wednesday are all kind of a blur to me because I was so out of it the whole time. 

I went to another oncologist yesterday for the cysts to figure out what was going to happen with them.  Unfortunately they are considered "functional cysts" so that means if I were to have surgery to have them removed, the chances of them coming back would be great.  Then there would be a problem of a new cyst pushing against an incision and would eventually result in having to get my ovary removed.  One thing that is amazing about City of Hope is that all of the oncologists consult with each other.  This oncologist called my other oncologist twice while I was there about different treatments.  He said it is common for cysts to form when taking Tomaxifen, but they don't want to take me off of the Tomaxifen because it is obviously working since can already tell shrinkage after only 3 weeks!  So as of right now, I got my pain medicine changed so that can hopefully try to tolerate them.  I go back to the doctor on July 3 to have an ultrasound and see if there has been any changes in the sizes of the cysts and check up on the pain.  I am also on medical leave from work now until at least July 8.


I will make it through this..... even if it means no work and with the help of some medicine!  I've never been a big fan of taking pills or relying on medicine but I have quickly learned that it can make a world of difference so I keep taking it!  Especially when can see that there has been improvement and shrinkage already!!


No comments:

Post a Comment